Friday 22 October 2010

I MET SIMON PEGG!!!


It was worth queuing up 3 hours in the cold for.

Seriously, I NEVER usually do stuff like this. I'm not generally the type to get wowed by celebrities, but this was different. Simon Pegg is now, rightly so, a massive name in Hollywood, but one show will always remain special to people like me: SPACED.

Much like his character, Tim, I too was living in a house full of ...strange...people, whilst desperately trying to break into the comic book business. So the episode where he finally gets his big break at "Dark Star Comics" (basically 2000AD) meant a lot to me and gave me hope for the future (Yes, I KNOW it's bloody made up!).

So, here I am, years later, finally working for 2000AD myself, and I just wanted to express my gratitude to him by giving him a drawing of him, as a mutant, with his favourite character, Strontium Dog. The line he's saying riffs off one of the famous 2000AD references in the show.

I gave it to him as he was signing copies of his new book, "Nerd Do Well" in Liverpool's Waterstones, and as you can tell from the photo, he seemed to like it! Even gave me a very cool shout out on Twitter ....which I'm still not joining despite everyone poking the crap out of me about it...

I love it when you meet one of your heroes, and they're just as cool in real life.

L

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fucking nice one fella. He's one of the few celebrities i'd like to meet too. You know you could have an enjoyable chat with him.

Does he still buy the AD?

Leigh G said...

Yeah, I could tell he was a top bloke despite only getting a couple of minutes with him.

I think 2000AD actually have him on a permanent comp list!

ashbarron said...

Thats so cool.
I saw he was gonna be at Forbidden Planet but i couldn't make it

bane711 said...

Quality mate!

Unknown said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Leigh you should make it into an actual comic!!!

Leigh G said...

Wow, this is a blast from the past! But yeah, a cool comic it would make indeed... Hang on, do you mean Strontium Dog taking down a mutant Simon Pegg, or a comic about me as a gushing fanboy befriending his hero and going on wild crazy adventures together, kicking bad guys in the balls?