Wednesday 27 April 2011

MAKING OF A DREDD PAGE THAT DOESN'T HAVE DREDD IN IT!!!!!

Hey guys,

Sorry for the wait on these. You know how it is: you start looking in the mirror at "The Most Handsome Man In Comics", and before you know it, two weeks have gone by! Weird...

OK, so here's the making of one of my favourite pages from the two part Judge Dredd story, "What The Hitler Saw" that I worked on from the recent 2000AD Prog 1729. As you know by now, it all starts with a script. This one by the very beardy Al Ewing....

Next up is my VERY rough layout. What I like about the opportunity to work on Dredds is that I'm allowed to go wild with the compositions on my layouts, as opposed to the strict panel grids I use on Defoe. I think this layout works well depicting the sense of struggle between the chubby bloke and the Hitler lookalike.


 No reference photos on hand to show I'm afraid, so here's the pencils....

 Yup, you guessed it, inks...

 And here's a scan of the final printed page with colours by the lovely Eva De La Cruz, and lettering by the seductive Annie Parkhouse (I've never met Annie, but I'm guessing she is.)


 Another post coming up in the next couple days about a piece I did for a Japan charity book coming out soon.

Bye bye.

L

8 comments:

Alan said...

Nice post. You really nailed the low angle on that main head shot. Nice... climax

Leigh G said...

Thanks very much Alan. Working on another Dredd for the Megazine right now so hopefully have more opportunity to do some cool layouts.

Mangamax said...

See, that's what's so great about these here Blog's - the chance to see the initial ideas building on up.
Lovely, informative stuff.

Leigh G said...

Cheers Eric!

hoops said...

I got such a nice surprise when i opened that prog to find you'd drawn another Dredd...excellent stuff, and thanks for another making-of too :)

Leigh G said...

Ahh thanks Rob. Wish I had time to post more, but just way too much on my plate right now.

Lee said...

Great post on how it's done. Terrific page layout too, completed unexpected after reading the script.

Leigh G said...

Much appreciated Lee. Hopefully this new project I'm working on will let me carry on showing off with wild layouts!