Tuesday 10 December 2013

JUDGE DREDD: THE RIGHT THING. OUT IN THE BUMPER 2000AD PROG 2014!!!!

(Cover by Ben Willsher.)

I FINALLY get my hands on Dredd again! And this time it's drawing the 12 page "The Right Thing" for the special year ender BUMPER prog of 2000AD 2014!!! 

It's brilliantly written by Michael Carroll, wonderfully coloured by Chris Blythe, and lovingly lettered by Annie Parkhouse!

(My inked page.)

It's part of a great lineup of THRILLPOWERED tales by a host of my buddies in the business, and you can see a preview of each of the stories on CBR HERE!

(Brilliant colours by Chris Blythe and letters by Annie Parkhouse.)

I should say that another reason I was ecstatic to have another crack at Judge Dredd, is because I wanted this opportunity to slightly "tweak" my version of him. Here's the thing: there's WAY TOO MANY talented artists with their own takes on him, that I wanted mine to stand out too (apart from the old man scrotum face look that I'm known for).

So I tried to go for a look that was the opposite to what a lot of my friends do with him:

(My rough design approved by Tharg.)

Thinner, sleaker, a blacker look with no highlights, a collar closer to the movie version, a thicker zip, and "tread marks" down his chest.

A slight problem: even though I LOVE Chris Blythe's colouring on this, (it's some of the best I've seen him do!) as is the case sometimes, it's printed a touch too dark, and so it's hard to make out some of my new uniform tweaks.  So here is my inked version of Dredd's appearance in the episode.....


So that's it! Please check out the bumper 2000AD Prog 2014 out in all good stores from tomorrow, as well as digitally from the 2000AD store HERE!

I'm really quite proud of this one!!!!

(PS: Look out for a guest appearance by me in another strip in this prog, courtesy of my nemesis, PJ Holden....)

L

6 comments:

Mike Collins said...

Did like the look of that! Nice tweaks on the gloves and boots!

Leigh G said...

Much appreciated Mr Collins, especially from a fellow 2000ADer! Loved your Slaine too!

Anonymous said...

There's a bit of a discussion going on, on the 2000ad board regarding the design of Dredd's outfit, Leigh. I felt you outlined your decision for these changes very clearly and I included a link to your blog. I for one cannot wait to get ahold of the finished article tomorrow! It's always a pleasure seeing your work in the prog, keep up the excellent job!

Mabs

Leigh G said...

Heh, well thanks for giving me a heads up on the upcoming battle, Mabs! Anyone who doesn't like the bigger zip obviously doesn't know how zip technology has evolved in the future...

Thanks!

L

Anonymous said...

Well what can I say? Your work on Judge Dredd was drokking fantastic, Leigh! The cameo from Defoe and "Bring back Firefly" (not to mention a shot of the ship herself) gave me a right old chuckle!

Honestly, I wish we had you doing art duties on Dredd more often!

And I had no problem with Dredd's large zip whatsoever. In fact I thought it looked pretty darn cool, including the slicker design of his suit.

Thanks Leigh, and Merry Christmas!

Mabs

Leigh G said...

Cheers again Mabs! Well I can't take any credit for the visual gags in the parade as they were all Mike, but thank you.

No idea when I'll get a Dredd again-- Aquila will keep me busy for a while, then after that, Defoe. But we shall see....

L