Friday 18 December 2009

SOMETHING FROM THE VAULTS 1

Hey guys,

Apologies for the ABYSMAL lack of posts this last couple of weeks. I'm at that awkward time when it's too soon to show my latest stuff, as well as signing a "confidential agreement" about another piece of work.

So, as I'm feeling guilty about this, I've decided to start this "Something From The Vaults" feature. Everytime I'm stuck for new work to post, I'll have a look through my dusty files and see what I can find. Generally I've shied away from posting old stuff, as I don't want casual browsers to see it and think that's the standard I'm at now, but I thought "Screw it"....it may be good for me to see these old horrors as well.

First up, we travel allllllllllll the way back to around 2001, when I was still working in a Liverpool cinema trying to break in. I actually have a chap named Marc Sobel to thank for getting me noticed by DC/Vertigo. He'd written a nice little story called "Starfish" that I had illustrated, and we eventually met at one of the UK conventions where Vertigo editor Shelly Bond was looking at portfolios.

Unfortunately, I had to leave before having a chance to show our work, but Marc stuck around to meet her. She must have liked what she saw as a while later she called me up to try me out for the then in development, "Fables" (which I'm sure alot of you have heard of).

Below are the two pencilled sample pages I submitted featuring Snow White and Bigby Wolf, but obviously didn't get the gig. With 'Fables" being the big hit it is today, it makes you wonder what my life would be like now if I'd got it! But hey, I aint complaining! I couldn't be happier how my life has turned out now!

Catch you soon!
L


10 comments:

Mangamax said...

Real nice, like the second page especially. Ta for putting them up.

Leigh G said...

Cheers man, and there's alot more where that came from!

Marc Sobel said...

Well, mate, I think you would have broken in even without me, but I appreciate the mention. You're pages for Starfish are awesome and I only regret we never found a publisher for it.

Leigh G said...

No Marc, if it weren't for you I'd be living under a railway bridge, scribbling on the walls and eating rats!
Thanks man.

hoops said...

Very cool indeed, Leigh! i like those a lot...cheers, man:)

Leigh G said...

Thanks lot Rob--this was the first of 3 official auditions I had with Vertigo until they eventually made me penciller on The Witching. Next I think I may post up my very first 2000AD job in the next day or two...

hoops said...

Really? that'd be sound to see!
I forgot to say how much i like the balance of the layouts... i do admire that generally in the strips you do, they have a dynamism and are always interesting.

Leigh G said...

Well once again, it'll be a Future Shock way before I established my ultra detailed Defoe style. Plus It'll be the pencilled version before the fantastic Dylan Teague got his inky hands on it.
Glad you're liking it mate!

Alan said...

Great!, I think it's fascinating to see 'early work'. Your style has changed somewhat. Your pencils were super tight back then; or was that mainly because they were samples?

Leigh G said...

Hey Alan, thanks you sir. I don't even think i had a style way back then--it was only when I had a complete rethink about my work around 4 years ago that I made a conscious effort to develop a style of my own.
Yeah, any time I was being inked by someone else, my pencils would be really tight--not that that would make any difference sometimes...