Monday 19 May 2008

BIONICLE!






Ok....so now we come to my other job, drawing the LEGO BIONICLE comic for DC.


This gig came along as a pleasant suprise this year. Though between you and me, I was a bit hesistant to take it on as I thought I had more than enough on my plate drawing Defoe. What changed my mind was that it's four 17 page issues per year, meaning that I could JUST squeeze it in, though at the expense of sleep, and also at the expense of room to move in my studio as LEGO send me every BIONICLE toy for reference! Seriously, I have NO IDEA where my life sized Iron Man bust is going to go when it arrives....


I've been told it has around a MILLION copy print run, but unfortunately it's only available to foreign members of the LEGO Club.....however, you lucky girls can view it for FREE in a fancy Flash animated format HERE! (My run starts from number 7.)


By the way, drawing BIONICLE is the furthest thing away you could get from DEFOE. It's also coloured beautifully by a chap named Ulises Arreola.


Here's some black and white pages from my first issue anyway.

8 comments:

PJ Holden said...

Wow. I don't envy you that gig one bit.

-pj

Anonymous said...

ouchy that looks hard!

Leigh G said...

Yeah,I thought the simpler drawing style would cut down time--but the detail needed for the toys more than makes up for it! Ahhh, it's worth it in the end though.

I mentioned to my boss that the previous artists must be drooling, gibbering wrecks by now, to which he replied ,"that's why we employed a gibbering, drooling wreck this time round! Saves time..."
Those wacky Americans...
L

Will Sliney said...

Nice one Leigh, bout time you got a blog

Leigh G said...

Cheers young Will! (The 2nd best looking guy in comics,after me...)

Will Sliney said...

You clearly havent seen Dec in his birthday suit!!

Anonymous said...

i am a huge fan i love your pi i just got a new bionicle comic it is awsome

Leigh G said...

Really appreciate that J! Nice to actually hear from guys who have that comic as we Brits don't have it here.Take care dude!
L